Tonals Revised

Another week I really wanted to fixed was the tonality week. I didn’t feel I produced work that was up to standard o the work created that week. So I tried a couple of new ones in the hope they would be better than the previous!

My tonality week was based in Hell Tree World. The 9 circles of hell in a tree. For that in our group I had to do Lust and Heresy. Now looking back i really wanted to do something with greed but now that I’m doing more tonals I’ve altered focus to which layers of hell i would be working on.

I decided to stick with Lust and do another tonal that was more appropriate. in this layer it features sandstorms and the pain of being in the layer is that its filled with solitude. I think this one is bit more suited to the theme. I left out the gatekeeper in this to emphasise that idea of solitude.

lust
Lust

The other layer I focused on was greed. I really loved the concept, the idea of guttonous people trying to eat food but held back by the idea that the exterior of the nice fruit  rotten inside (Bringing influences of S7ven!) For the drawing I brought in influences from other groups who viewed the protagonist in first person and thinking of Emily’s designs and the person grabbing the fruit from the tree. I wanted to show both elements together. I think the end results looks okay, much better than previous tonals since I spent more time on it and for me it reflect more of my own style!

I’m not sure if i was cheating using a shade of yellow for highlights but i really liked it when i added it in so i just rolled with it.

please compress-min
Greed

Now I’m somewhat happy I gave tonals another go!

 

 

Advertisements

Title Sequence Sorted!

I took me awhile but I fixed the title sequence, all of the little things that bugged me i finally was able to sort them out. In particular i was able to fix the bird scene with bit of research and the falling scene by using the advice Conánn and Michael gave me with the background moving instead of the character. That and the timing issues i had previous with the typography i was able to fix.

Dragon Tree Title Sequence

So now the video is ready to put in the portfolio; Hurrah!

Making Type Digital

In Dragon World we learnt about typography,  I quite liked my typography, despite it being quite loud at the time for the title sequence. Since I wasn’t fond of the top type, we shall ignore it.

(Or better yet, look at my post about the typography)

To Recap:

The middle one was the vine type. Despite the design not being used it then became intertwined with the current typography with vines growing from the letters.

The bottom one was a mix of moss and dragon scales. I really liked it but learning from Helvetica, to be read clearing amongst all the other graphics that were happening in the background. It wouldn’t work

DSC_0835
Picture of my typography tests

Since I liked these two I decided to have some fun and  make them digital. The process of making these digital was fun, knowing that the piece wasn’t for the title sequence made me so much more relaxed about working on it.

Also since you can tell going through my hour glass world posts, i have figured out GIFs. So why not have so more fun with it all.

dragon-type
Typography Made Digital. (Top: Vine Type, Bottom: Moss and Scales Type)

I really liked how the two types turned out, Doing them I could see why it wouldn’t really work in with the title sequence. However in another dimensional timeline where we went with one of these. I wander how different the title sequence would have been.

The top one turned out more chaotic than I thought but I just ran with it because I like the messy qualities. The bottom one is my favourite, I tried my best not to go over the top hence why the drawing and digital drawings differ. I think with the tweak it reads a lot better. I think overall it’s nice seeing my drawings come out of the page and on screen!

Bird Flying Research

One thing I wanted to fix is the dragon tree sequence. On the presentation day for it the tutor made a few constructive criticisms none or two scenes to make the title sequence better. I knew myself there were many things I wanted to change. So now is the time to improve and fix the a couple of things!

One of the first major things i wanted to tackle is that bird scene! That wasn’t my best work and i knew i should have looked how a bird moves. So now i’m going to do just that!

Bird Flying Video 1

Bird Flying Video 2

What I have noticed is that the wings don’t move that much when in “flapping mode” but the ends curve upwards and how aggressive the flapping is dependent on how high the wings rise.When they build enough momentum they glide and the wing stay stationary.

The wings almost look like a wave, with the first half curving one way and other curving another when the wings are raised

For my bird there is a point where it glides and the initial flapping should be aggressive. So i need to raise the vines and treat each wing as two different parts. With that to animating!